Exfoliation is not an option, it is an essential step in a beauty regimen. The benefits of regular exfoliation are countless: smoother, more radiant skin, improved elasticity, and a stronger skin barrier. Here's why and how you should incorporate this step into your skincare routine now.
As we age, cell turnover slows down and dead skin cells can give us a dull skin tone. These dead skin cells often stick to healthy skin, leading to everything from clogged pores to worsening fine lines and wrinkles. Excess sebum and impurities act as a barrier that traps dead skin cells and clogs pores.
In addition, studies show that it takes 40 to 60 days for skin cells to be completely regenerated in older people, while it only takes 28 days for younger people. And to make things more dramatic, collagen production - a protein essential to skin firmness and elasticity - also decreases with age, leading to gradual thinning and weakening of the skin's texture.
Regular exfoliation is our best defense, allowing the skin to breathe by removing the top layer of dead skin cells and revealing the soft, refreshed skin beneath. By removing dirt and dead skin cells, you eliminate dullness, roughness, and dryness, which are conditions that amplify the appearance of wrinkles and uneven pigmentation, and you get a smooth, radiant glow.
There are many ways to exfoliate and improve skin radiance. You can choose your favorite method or incorporate a few. Let's review the different types.
This is a matter of debate among dermatologists. For the face, it is recommended to exfoliate once or twice a week (unless it is a chemical exfoliant - in which case you can do it daily). Body skin is not as delicate: if you exfoliate at home, do it in the shower (with a special glove) about 2-3 times a week. Once out of the shower, moisturize with cream or coconut oil.
How does it work?
The best time of day to use a mechanical exfoliator is in the morning since the cells regenerate during the night (this is also the reason why you should always remove your makeup before going to bed). The pressure of the fingers on the skin can give the impression of deep cleansing, but beware of the risk of irritation. Gently, in the shower, turn down the water temperature if you don't want to stress your skin, and rub gently in circular motions.
How to exfoliate your skin?
Mechanical exfoliation helps to purify the skin by manually removing dead skin with a product containing fine abrasive particles. The exfoliating microbeads found in exfoliators polish and clean the skin in depth.
Chemical exfoliation, on the other hand, uses chemicals such as alpha hydroxy acids (AHAs), beta hydroxy acids (BHAs), and enzymes to dissolve what binds aged skin cells to its surface without any friction. The words "chemical" and "acids" may sound intimidating, but in reality, chemical exfoliation can be a surprisingly gentle way to deeply exfoliate.
Can I book a body exfoliation in a salon?
Of course, you can. For total exfoliation, a pro will do a better job than you (no offense). You'll be asked to lie down on a massage table while an expert works on cleansing your skin. You'll be exfoliated and massaged before being freshly cleansed and dried with a hot towel. Leave it to the pros. Soft skin in 30 minutes.
Do's and Don'ts
As you work to perfect your exfoliation routine, consider these tips to ensure you're doing it safely and effectively. For a deep gentle scrub, you can use SOURSOP C GLOW POLISH directly on the skin.
- Less is more. Exfoliating once or twice a week is enough.
- Follow the directions. If a peel requires a 10-minute application time, then 10 minutes is enough.
- If you prefer a mechanical scrub, look for scrubs with smooth, round grains.
- Aggressive methods are not the ideal way to exfoliate.
- In general, it is advisable to apply the exfoliator on your skin, without rubbing, by making light and circular massages.
- For the body, apply in a circular way the exfoliant from the shoulders to the feet by insisting on elbows, knees, and buttocks... Rinse with warm water, you can finish with a toner, firm, stimulate your skin and activate your blood circulation.
- For a gentle exfoliation, rub the SOURSOP C GLOW POLISH between your hands and apply it on the part to exfoliate.
- For the face, make soft and circular motions of the interior towards the outside by leaving the forehead towards the neck. Rinse your face with warm water using a glove or a large cotton pad.
- During a scrub (this is also the case for a mask) and depending on its environment (habit, season), the skin is likely to react (appearance of redness). This is why we recommend, for practical and aesthetic reasons, that you do your face exfoliation at night.
- For the beard: use an exfoliant once or twice a week. It prevents pimples and ingrown hairs and allows for optimal shaving.
Exfoliation is essential for skin care, it will remove dead skin and open the pores of your skin to clean them thoroughly. However, you should not overdo it as it can damage your skin, i.e. you should not use the scrub every day. Apply it by hand or with a glove, making small circles and after a scrub, your skin will need a lot of hydration.
Enjoy the benefits of this beauty treatment and share with us your amazing results soon!