5 WAYS TO KEEP YOUR SKIN HEALTHY AND GLOWING WHILE WEARING A MASK
Face masks are now a part of our daily wardrobe as we protect ourselves and others from coronavirus, and it may be a way of life for some time to come. As masks become a staple fashion accessory, we also need to protect ourselves from the toll they can take on our skin.
Breakouts and acne around the mouth, chin, nose, and cheeks can occur from wearing a mask every day. This can lead to serious inflammation, redness, and itchiness for some people. When covered by a mask, sweat, oil, and makeup on the skin can quickly clog pores; and the humidity caused by breathing into a mask accelerates breakouts and skin damage.
Here are 5 tips to keep your skin healthy and glowing while wearing a mask:
1. Keep your mask clean. If you are wearing a cloth mask, wash it after each use. If you are wearing a disposable mask, let it dry out in the sun for at least 24 hours before re-use (disposable masks will shred and become ineffective when washed).
2. Keep your skin clean. Wash your face immediately after removing the mask with an exfoliating face wash. You can wash your face up to three times a day. Use a toner, astringent or facial spray to clarify and balance the skin after washing. Use an exfoliating face mask once a week to detoxify the skin and draw out impurities.
3. Keep your skin dry and free of sweat. Add a sheet of paper towel between your skin and the mask to help absorb the sweat and keep your skin dry.
4. Keep your skin well hydrated and moisturized. Use a moisturizing cream or serum before wearing the mask. It adds a layer of protection to the skin and keeps it hydrated.
5. Wear your mask for no more than two hours at a time. When it's safe to do so, remove the mask for a few minutes to give your skin a chance to breathe.